Wrongful Death of a Pet

Our pets are a part of our family. No matter what is going on, they are there to listen and comfort us without talking back or to bring us endless joy for no reason at all. Pets are not limited to dogs and cats, as many people enjoy the company of other animals like birds, snakes, lizards, fish, turtles, and so on. For the large majority, owning a pet means to own a dog or a cat. Whether that dog or cat is a rescue or a pure breed, you will love them like a child. The last thing you ever want is for your pet to suffer an injury or die, especially if it is in the hands of a negligent individual. If this is the case, you may be entitled to compensation for your loss.

What can I Recover in a Wrongful Death Suit of my Pet?

Pets are a part of the family. If your pet is injured or killed due to the negligent behavior of another individual, it is important that you file a police report and hire an attorney experienced in this field. Some of the things you can recover in a pet wrongful death lawsuit are:

  • The most common type of compensation for your lost pet is to be compensated for the “market value” of your pet. In other words, you will receive compensation for the cost of replacing the animal.
  • Recover veterinary costs as long as the animal receives “reasonable treatment”. Reasonable treatment is determined is based on the animal’s health before the injury and the type of injury inflicted.
  • The value of the animal is determined by factors like the type of animal, the length of your relationship, the quality of your relationship, etc. This is not a common reward for this type of case.
  • Emotional distress is difficult to recover, but it is possible depending on the state you live in. Emotional distress covers the grief and anguish of losing a pet may cause an owner.
  • Punitive damages can be rewarded if the individual acted maliciously with intent to kill your animal.

The loss of a pet is tough for anyone to deal with. If your pet was injured or killed by the negligent acts of another individual, you should contact the police immediately and file a police report. After contacting the police, you should contact an attorney that is experienced in this field, as you may be entitled to compensation to recover damages from the loss.